- Serves 6 people
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- 2 cups Earth’s Own Unsweetened Original beverage of choice
- 1 tbsp oil (olive, coconut, avocado oil)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 bunch collards, washed, stemmed and sliced into 1 inch strips
- 1 bunch kale, washed, stemmed and sliced into 1 inch strips
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (gluten-free will work, too!)
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- In a deep, large sauce pan over medium heat, add oil and sauté onion until translucent about 5-6 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili flakes, smoked paprika, and lemon zest and sauté until fragrant about 2 minutes.
- Add collards, kale, and vegetable broth. Lower heat to low and allow to cook for 25 minutes covered. Or 15 minutes if only using kale.
- Stir in flour to coat greens. Slowly add Earth’s Own Unsweetened Original.
- Raise heat to medium-high. Allow to simmer until liquid is reduced and thickened about 15-20 minutes. Season with lemon juice, salt, and lots of fresh ground pepper.
Creamy, braised greens are a Southern comfort food but this lighter version is guilt-free. The slow braise of greens help breakdown their tough cell walls making them easier to disgust without losing valuable nutrients. Cream Collards and Kale pair perfectly with our Chicken-Style Fried Artichokes and Rosemary Pan Sauce.