- Serves 6 people
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 55 minutes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1½ cups carrot, coarsely grated
- 1½ cups celery, finely chopped
- 1½ cups French green lentils or brown lentils
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 cups Earth’s Own Unsweetened Original beverage of choice
- 1 cup dry white wine or vegetable stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
Begin with the following step, then move on to the steps for Bolognese sauce:
- Set a large, wide saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil and onions to pan, then cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent.
- Add grated carrot and chopped celery to pan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until celery and carrots soften.
For French lentil Bolognese:
- Add lentils, dried oregano, parsley, pepper, salt and Earth’s Own Unsweetened Original into pan, and stir until ingredients are well combined. Bring mixture to boil, then turn down to simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes, or until all the Earth’s Own Unsweetened Original has been absorbed.
- Stir wine or stock and crushed tomatoes into pan. Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened and the lentils are cooked to a tender bite (not mushy).
This version of a classic Italian meat sauce is made with French lentils for a delicious and satisfying plant-based option.