- Serves 6 people
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- 2 tbsp oil (divided)
- 1/2 red onion, small dice
- 4 cloves, minced
- ¼ - ½ jalapeno, seeds removed and minced (depending on desired spice level)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 pkg (250g) plain tempeh
- 1/2 cup cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 1/2 cup cashews (not salted or roasted), soaked overnight and drained
- 1 roasted red pepper
- 3/4 cup Earth’s Own Cashew Unsweetened Original Milk
- 1 tbsp vinegar (white or apple cider vinegar)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 oz (118mL) canned diced green chilis
- 1 tomato, diced
- For garnish: sour cream, pico de gallo, guacamole, green onions, cilantro
- For serving: tortilla chips and/or cruite
Spicy Tempeh Crumble
- In a large skillet, heat ½ tbsp oil over medium heat. Once hot, add in onion and cook until translucent about 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in spices and cook until fragrant about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove mixture and set aside.
- Add in remaining oil, and once hot add in tempeh. Saute over medium-high heat until starting to brown and crisp about 10 minutes. Add onion mixture back in.
- Continue to cook tempeh for about 3-5 minutes or until tempeh is evenly browned. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Add to the bottom of oven-safe serving dish.
- In the same skillet, add in ½ tbsp oil over medium heat, and once hot add in cauliflower, and carrot. Saute until vegetables are soft about 7 minutes.
- Add to blender with cashews, roasted red pepper, Earth’s Own Cashew Milk, vinegar, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and salt. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Stir in chilis and tomatoes. Pour Queso over top of Spicy Tempeh Crumble. Top with pico de gallo, vegan sour cream, and guacamole.
Can be made made ahead and reheated in a 350* F oven for 10 minutes or until hot.
If you forget to soak your cashews overnight, cover them with boiling water for 30 minutes to soften them.