Three Myths About Soy

I started drinking soy m*lk sporadically in the first year of my life since my parents wanted to vary my diet and thereby regulate some problems I had with nasal congestion.

A love affair ensued with this nutritious drink, which I continued to consume throughout my childhood and beyond. Even today, I pour it on my cereal, I use it in my recipes, and I dip my hot cookies in it on cold winter days!

In fact, I like ANYTHING that is soy-based. From seared tofu to organic beans in a salad, I find this legume a very economical alternative to meat, in addition to being tremendously versatile.

Too bad some people still believe that growing soybean is polluting the environment or is even bad for our health! Nothing could be more wrong. For more details, read on. Here are three myths to debunk about soy m*lk!

1: Soy is polluting the environment

FALSE. Although growing soybean is responsible for a lot of deforestation, this is not the soybeans’ fault, it is rather… humans’ fault. In fact, growing soybeans doesn’t have to be so polluting. If its cultivation is so intensive and requires so many pesticides, it is because we rely on it to feed animals… that we, as humans, will ultimately eat! You read that right, three‑quarters of the soybeans grown in the world are used to feed livestock. A principle that I find completely absurd since humans would gain so much from directly integrating this legume into their own diet! I started growing organic legumes in my garden last summer to feed myself this winter. That being said, I only grow black beans, but one day I would love to grow my own soybeans, without pesticides or chemicals!

Besides, imagine if 75% of soybeans grown to feed animals ceased tomorrow morning and trees were planted on these weak lands, while the remaining 25% was only used to feed humans via organic crops that encourage biodiversity!

(By the way, Earth’s Own’s organic soy m*lk requires 22 times less water than cow’s milk, and produces 5 times less CO2. If this is not a green alternative, I don’t know what is.)

2: Soy m*lk is not for men

FALSE, so wrong! And this is an argument (if you can call it an argument) that I hear often! Since soy contains isoflavone, which is a molecule capable of binding to estrogen receptors in humans, some men believe their breasts will grow if they dare to take a drop of soy m*lk (I can’t help laughing at this belief). Gentlemen, don’t worry, science has never shown a feminizing effect of soy isoflavones in men.

However, if these isoflavones do not change anything in men’s bodies, they may have slight positive effects on that of women! Although they don’t make breasts bigger (in high school, a girlfriend of mine always walked around with a bottle of soy m*lk in hand to increase her cup size!!) it has been demonstrated that isoflavones can have positive effects in women, especially for hot flashes during menopause.

3: Soy is ALWAYS full of GMOs

FALSE. It is true that soy crops are known to be stuffed with GMOs, but it is also quite easy to find Canadian soybeans that do not contain them. In fact, a third of the soybeans grown in this country is GMO-free. In fact, Earth’s Own has non-GMO, organic soy m*lk options!

As for its impact on health, researchers at McGill University determined in 2018 that soy m*lk was the most nutritious of ALL PLANT-BASED M*LKS! An excellent source of iron and calcium, it also contains proteins as well as phytonutrients which give it anti-cancer properties.

If these arguments don’t convince you to drop your prejudices about soy m*lk, I don’t know what will! For my part, since I did this little research for this article … I must admit that … soy m*lk is on the verge of taking the lead over oat m*lk in my heart!!

Other stories you may like

Plantiful News

Keeping Up With Plant-Based

We won’t spam you. We will keep you informed
*plus score some sweet recipes and coupons