An oh-so delish and Canadian-infused spin on a comfort classic? That’s just how we roll. These cinnamon buns are layered to maple-y perfection with a thick n’ rich (and totally plant-based) maple cream cheese frosting that tastes just as good as it looks.
Serves: 8 (1 cinnamon bun each)
Prep time: 40 minutes
Total time: 3 hours
CINNAMON BUN DOUGH
- 3/4 cup Earth’s Own Unsweetened Original Almond
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 2 tbsps cane sugar
- 1/4 cup Earth’s Own Dairy Free Butter
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
MAPLE CINNAMON FILLING
- 1/2 cup plant-based brown sugar
- 2 tbsps cinnamon
- 1/2 cup maple flakes
- 1/2 cup Earth’s Own Dairy Free Butter
MAPLE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 2 tbsps Earth’s Own Dairy Free Butter
- 1/3 cup Earth’s Own Dairy Free Cream Cheese
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- 1/3 cup plant-based powdered sugar
- Start by warming up your Earth’s Own Almond in the microwave or on the stove top.
- Once warmed, add your almond m*lk to a mixing bowl along with the sugar and yeast. Mix well and let the mixture sit for 10 mins (this will give the yeast time to activate).
- Next up, add your Earth’s Own Dairy Free Butter, applesauce, salt and mix er’ up again.
- Add in the flour in small batches. Eventually it will come to a point where it’s easiest to mix with your hands. Create a ball with the dough. You’ll want to smooth some olive oil over the dough so it doesn’t dry out!
- Now cover the dough with plastic wrap/kitchen cloth. Let the dough rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. The goal is for the dough to double in size.
- While the dough is rising you can get started on the filling! Start by adding the Earth’s Own Dairy Free Butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and maple flakes to a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Now onto the maple cream cheese glaze! Add your Earth’s Own Dairy Free Butter, Earth’s Own Dairy Free Cream Cheese, maple syrup and powdered sugar into a bowl and mix until smooth n’ creamy.
- Once the dough has risen and doubled in size, remove it from the bowl and knead it on a floured surface for 5 minutes. The dough should bounce back when pressed on with your fingers.
- Time to roll out your dough! Flour your rolling pin and get to rollin’! You want it to be a large rectangular shape. Once rolled, spread your cinnamon filling evenly onto your dough (make sure to get every corner covered)
- Next tightly, but gently, roll up your dough toward the shortest side. It should make about 8 nicely sized cinnamon rolls.
- Add the rolls to a 9 inch round pan. Place a plastic wrap/kitchen cloth over the buns and let them rise again for about 30 mins to an hour. You want them to fill up the pan in size.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Once preheated, place your cinnamon buns uncovered into the oven for 20 mins. They should be light golden brown when ready to come out!
- Once baked, let the buns cool for about 20 mins.
- Now the fun part! Add all the cream cheese frosting to your cinnamon buns and serve it up!